Bukit Aman: Visits part of info gathering process

Bukit Aman: Visits part of info gathering process
Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Tun Hussein (C) attends a news conference about the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, at Kuala Lumpur International Airport March 13, 2014.

SEPANG - Bukit Aman has denied reports in some online portals and local newspapers that the police are focusing on one of the MH370 crew members in their investigation.

 

Federal CID director Comm Datuk Hadi Ho Abdullah said any report to that effect which quoted him was false. He said he had so far not given any statement regarding the ongoing investigation pertaining to the missing MAS plane.

"The investigation is confidential and it is still ongoing. We will divulge the latest development in the case at the right time," he said in a statement yesterday.

Hadi said that in response to a report which claimed that the police had raided the house of one of the crew members and questioned the family members.

Speaking on the same issue, Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi clarified that the police had visited several premises belonging to the crew of MH370 as part of the information gathering process.

He however stressed that the visits were not a raid nor investigation on the crew themselves.

The police, he said, were looking for clues or leads that could help shed some light as to what had happened to the Beijing-bound flight that went missing on Saturday morning.

"Let me stress that the visits were not to investigate (the crew) but just to find information that could be of any help," he told reporters after being briefed on security matters involving the Kajang by-election in Kajang yesterday.

Zahid said checks at KL Inter­national Airport Immigration counters had been tightened following the discovery that two MH370 passengers had boarded the missing flight using stolen passports.

Even airline crew were not spared from the stringent checks, he said, adding that four Immigration officers who were on duty when the two Iranians - Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, 19, and Delavar Seyed Mohamad Erza, 29 - entered the country on Feb 28 and left to board the flight on March 7 had been questioned.

"The officers are not suspended from duty as investigations showed that they followed the standard operating procedure," he added.

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.