Businessman survives after being shot

Crime scene investigation: Policemen at the scene where the businessman was shot in Jalan Air Putih.

KUANTAN - A businessman survived being shot twice and slashed by four assailants who then fled in his car in an early morning robbery.

Pahang deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Jamaluddin Abd Majid said Lee Siew Meng, 42, was checking into a hotel in Jalan Air Putih here when he was approached by two of the suspects in the 4.20am incident.

"The two men asked the victim where he was going and when Lee replied that he was checking in, they told him the hotel was full.

"The suspects then hit the victim on the head and fired two shots at him," DCP Jamaluddin said at a press conference at the district police headquarters here yesterday.

DCP Jamaluddin said one of the bullets penetrated Lee's right shoulder and exited through his back while another hit him in the left rib.

Lee, who is from Kuala Tereng­ganu, also had a slash wound on his head.

"He was sent to Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital and is reported to be stable after surgery to remove the bullets," said DCP Jamalud­din.

He added that police believed the motive of the attack was to rob Lee of his Peugeot 308 car as they left his wallet containing RM988 untouched.

"We will investigate whether this case is linked to the shooting in Jalan Haji Ahmad recently," said DCP Jamaluddin.

On Aug 13, 35-year-old Ruze­lawati Basri escaped with a slight injury after she was shot by an unknown man in a carjacking attempt.

She had stopped her Toyota Alphard in front of a restaurant after refuelling at a petrol kiosk when the pistol-wielding man came and ordered her to get out.

Ruzelawati was injured in the right eye by glass fragments when the man fired a shot at her car.

Meanwhile, Lee's wife Lee Chin Chin, 41, said her husband usually arrived in Kuantan in the afternoon but had set out late from Kuala Terengganu yesterday as he had things to do.

"He goes to Kuantan every month to sell electrical appliances and was late because he still had some packing to do. He last SMSed me at about 12.30am, saying that he had arrived and was going to have some drinks with his friends," said Chin Chin when met at Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan.

Chin Chin also said the stolen Peugeot 308 car was hers as Lee's car was in the workshop for repairs.