Car catches fire as child plays with lighter at petrol station

PETALING JAYA: A seven-year-old boy played with a lighter in a car, resulting in the vehicle being engulfed in flames at a petrol station in Kelantan.

A video of the incident, which was posted by social media user Mastura Ghazali Masra on Facebook, went viral recently.

It showed the boy's mother refuelling the car, moments before the Proton Wira bursts into flames from within.

His mother dashed to the other side of the car to help her son but found the door to be locked. She then ran to another car door and pulled her son out.

Employees of the petrol station at Guchil in Kuala Krai were seen running over with a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.

According to Mastura Ghazali, the boy named Saifuddin who is a Year One pupil, has been admitted at the Kota Baru Hospital due to severe burns on his face.

She advised parents to not leave lighters in their cars to prevent such an incident from happening.

Her video has received more than 1.2 million views, 42,000 shares and 7,100 likes.