Couple in Penang held over maid's murder

In big trouble: The man and wife shielding their faces while being escorted out of the Sessions Court in George Town.
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

GEORGE TOWN - A couple is facing a murder probe over the death of their 38-year-old Indonesian maid, who is believed to have been sexually abused.

According to sources, there were injuries to her private parts.

Apparently, both the husband and wife had also given contradicting statements to the police.

They were brought to court yesterday and remanded for seven days.

Both of them were seen covering their faces when they walked out of the courthouse after the remand was obtained pending investigation into the maid's murder.

George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash Wahid denied that the woman had been sexually abused, but said that their investigation was still ongoing.

He said that the couple had earlier claimed that their maid had slipped and collapsed at the staircase of their double-storey house in Jelutong at 12.45am on Saturday.

"They said that about 11 hours later, they found her unconscious.

"The maid was pronounced dead by a medical officer after the couple called for an ambulance," he said in a statement yesterday.

ACP Mior said a post-mortem, however, revealed that the cause of death was a blunt force trauma to the chest.

"We then arrested the 42-year-old woman and her 48-year-old husband," he said.

ACP Mior said the maid had a valid passport and had been working as a domestic helper for two years.

The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES