BUTTERWORTH - The twin turbo-prop Beechcraft B200T aircraft which crashed at the Royal Malaysian Air Force base in Teluk Ayer Tawar had been in service for more than 20 years.
Air Force Chief Jen Datuk Seri Affendi Buang said, however, that the plane had a good flight record while in service, with no signs of any mechanical issues.
He added that the weather on Wednesday had been clear when the plane crashed at 5.18pm.
Speaking to reporters outside the Seberang Jaya Hospital mortuary, Affendi said the Air Force has set up a board of enquiry to investigate on the cause of the crash.
"The board will also come up with steps to respond in times of emergency and technical difficulty, and it will be done as soon as possible.
"Whatever the cause of the crash, the board will investigate thoroughly and will not make any assumptions," he said.
The plane's pilot - Mejar C. Kayamboo, 45 - was killed in the crash.
Three other crewmen, whose identities have not yet been released, were injured but are reported to be in stable condition.
Two of them are being warded at the Seberang Jaya Hospital while the other is at the Penang General Hospital.
Deputy Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Johari Baharum, who was also present, said the deceased pilot had a good track record and was a senior flight trainer.
He declined to comment on the cause of the accident but praised the rescue personnel on scene for their swift action in extracting the victims from the plane wreckage.