PETALING JAYA - Wednesday was just like any other day for 15-year-old Nur Diana Alden - until she returned from school and saw her youngest brother sprawled and bleeding on the ground of their block of flat in Kota Damansara.
The Form Three student's instinct was to rush over to her five-year-old brother, but she was stopped by several others and told to get her mother.
"I could see that his chest was still heaving," Nur Diana recalled.
"The ambulance had not arrived yet. But they wouldn't let me get near him," she said, adding that she immediately rushed upstairs to inform her mother.
Muhammad Zul Hazriq Danish Alden was believed to have slipped through a gap in the railing of their sixth storey unit of the People's Housing Projects (PPR) flat in Section 8 while playing with his friends and fell at about 3.15pm.
He died from head and other injuries.
Witnesses said the boy, who was close to his eldest sister, screamed for Nur Diana as he was falling.
Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim visited the victim's mother Norsahura Sahara Mohamad, 35, and her family yesterday to offer counselling service and a cash donation.
"This type of trauma usually cuts deep and lasts long. Whenever the mother is ready, the Welfare Department's counsellor will help her and the whole family, especially the brother who witnessed the incident," she said.
She also urged the public to stop accusing the mother of being negligent.
"This is a very unfortunate incident," Rohani said. "The mother told me that her baby boy was not the type to leave the house without his brother.
"I told her not to blame herself. And we, the public, must refrain from pointing fingers," she added.
Rohani also called on the residents to look out for each other and notify the building management if they see faulty railings or any type of breakdowns that could pose a danger to residents, especially children.
The flat's residents association chairman Johari Nander said a five-year-old boy from a different block also fell to his death from the railings of the 14th floor in 2013.
"After that incident, I wrote to the city council and they sent a repairman. I suppose the repairs were not good enough," he said.