Former Malaysian Inspector-General says Mahathir and Najib not involved in Anwar's second sodomy case

Former Malaysian Inspector-General says Mahathir and Najib not involved in Anwar's second sodomy case
Malaysia's former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan.
PHOTO: BHM

PETALING JAYA - Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak were not involved in Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's second sodomy case, said Tan Sri Musa Hassan.

The former Inspector-General of Police said that neither the current nor the former prime minister was involved in the case that put the de facto opposition leader behind bars.

"Mahathir had nothing to do with it. He was not even called by the police," he said at a press conference in Shah Village hotel here Wednesday.

He added that Najib, who was deputy prime minister when Anwar was charged in 2008, also had nothing to do with the case.

Musa was denying claims by Raja Petra Kamarudin in his blog post that he and then Attorney-General Tan Sri Gani Patail had helped him "fix up" Anwar on trumped up sodomy charges.

"This is slander and there has never been any evidence that there was a conspiracy," he said.

Musa gave Raja Petra 14 days to retract his article and all other posts containing false allegations or he will lodge a police report against him and sue him for defamation.

Old foes Mahathir, Anwar join hands after 18 years

  • Open gallery

    Former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad and the one-time deputy he jailed, Anwar Ibrahim, exchanged a previously-unthinkable handshake on Sep 5.

  • Open gallery

    It was the first time that the two leaders met face-to-face in 18 years.

  • Open gallery

    Dr Mahathir turned up at the Kuala Lumpur High Court in Jalan Duta to attend the hearing of an application filed by Anwar to challenge the National Security Council (NSC) Act 2016.

  • Open gallery

    On Sep 19, the pair issued a joint statement saying the Act threatened democracy in the country.

  • Open gallery

    Anwar had filed the suit on Aug 2 to stop the operation of the National Security Council Act on the grounds that the Act is unconstitutional.

  • Open gallery

    Also in the court were PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Azmin Ali and former Batu Kawan Umno vice-chief Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan.

  • Open gallery

    The Act has been criticised by the Opposition and human rights organisations on the grounds that it would give the Prime Minister absolute powers.

  • Open gallery

    Asked if he was making peace with Anwar since their falling-out in 1998, Mahathir said he was in court because he was interested in the case.

  • Open gallery

    He declined to say if he and Anwar were now friends or Opposition partners. "I don't know about friends. I talked to him, that's it. I endorse his actions against the NSC Act," said Mahathir.

  • Open gallery

    The charismatic Anwar was deputy premier until he was sacked in 1998 by Mahathir over political differences. He was charged with sodomy and corruption.

 

Read also: Anwar: This is not the end
Malaysia court rejects Anwar's bid for case review
Aide who accused Anwar Ibrahim of sodomy now a budding entrepreneur

More about

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.