Glass shards in fried noodles: 50 more children to go for checkup

Lee visiting one of the students in hospital.
PHOTO: The Star/ Asia News Network

SUNGAI BULOH - A packet of fried noodles was his usual lunch but on this one occasion, A. Piravin spotted an uncommon "ingredient" in the noodles provided by the school canteen.

The meal given to students of SJK(T) Ladang Nigel Gardner under the Government's supplementary food programme last Wednesday had apparently contained glass shards.

Piravin, 11, pointed it out to his teacher, who promptly alerted the canteen operators.

"Shockingly, the operators told the teacher and my son that it was just a 'piece of plastic' and told them to throw out the pieces they found.

"My son continued eating because he was hungry. Later, he complained of stomach pains and threw up," said Piravin's father, A. Arujunnan, 32.

Piravin's older sister A. Pavitra Devi, 12, who had also consumed the noodles, fainted of severe pain the next day.


A glass shard allegedly from the fried noodles served to the children.

At least five other pupils suffered similar symptoms including traces of blood in their vomit and stool.

All seven were later admitted to the Sungai Buloh Hospital.

"I feel a sharp pain whenever I try to eat," said Piravin when met at the hospital yesterday.

Deputy Education Minister Datuk P. Kamalanathan, who visited the children yesterday evening, said the district education office was investigating the case.

"If the canteen operators are found to be at fault, we will ensure strict action is taken against them. In the meantime, they are not allowed to operate," he said.

Kamalanathan said the other 50 students who had also eaten the fried noodles would be taken to the hospital for a check-up this week.

Cousins R. Tarsani, nine, and S. Thurga, 11, who were discharged yesterday, are still unable to build up an appetite.

"I was not expecting that day's meal to be any different. But within five minutes of eating, I felt pain," said Tarsani outside the hospital.

SERVICES