PETALING JAYA - The Home Ministry has dissuaded members of the public from joining the planned Bersih 4.0 rally on Aug 29, accusing the coalition of attempting to incite the people against the Government.
Its secretary-general Datuk Seri Alwi Ibrahim said Bersih was not a registered organisation, and was operating unlawfully to cause worry among Malaysians.
"Bersih is spreading propaganda to incite the people for negative reasons against the Government by distributing certain pamphlets, which are harmful.
"Its activities have also given a negative image to this country, and is a threat to public order, security, economic prosperity and national sovereignty, and also affects the harmony of Malaysia's plural society," Alwi said in a statement on Tuesday.
He added that the rally organisers had not obtained the permission of the authorities, and urged Malaysians not to participate in the "unlawful gathering".
Kuala Lumpur City Hall and the police said last week that the rally, which is to take place a day before the national Merdeka Day celebrations, would not be allowed to go ahead.
The coalition for free and fair elections had proposed to hold the rally at Dataran Merdeka or Padang Merbok, but KL mayor Datuk Amin Nordin said the area would be undergoing active preparations for the Merdeka Day parade.