Jeweller shot in foiled robbery attempt

After a brief lull, shootings are back in the news in Malaysia.

This time the targets were a well-known jeweller in Kuala Lumpur and a restaurant owner in Penang.

Mr Abdul Rasul Abdul Razak, 58, who owns Abdul Razak Jewellers, survived the shooting and has been warded at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital, The Star reported.

He was shot at least twice on Tuesday when he tried to stop four men from robbing his store in the Lebuh Ampang area of Kuala Lumpur.

They escaped empty-handed on two motorcycles.

Mr Abdul Rasul's brother Abdul Wahab, 50, said two bullets were still lodged in his shoulder and abdomen.

Said Mr Abdul Wahab: "His condition is stable now. The doctor said there are a few more examinations to be done before surgery can be carried out to remove the bullets."

He said this was the first time his brother's premises had been robbed since it opened in 1950.

Dang Wangi Assistant Commissioner Zainuddin Ahmad said Mr Abdul Rasul was preparing for the day's business with four workers when two men wearing full-face helmets and jackets entered the premises at 9.30am.

Deputy city Criminal Investigation Department chief, Assistant Commissioner Khairi Ahrasa, told The New Straits Times that one of the robbers leapt over the showcase and threatened the staff.

Mr Abdul Rasul, who was in his office, dashed out to grab the suspect who was behind the counter.

Two other accomplices standing outside the shop were startled and fired three rounds at him.

One shot hit the counter while the other two hit Mr Abdul Rasul.

Police forensics investigators recovered three bullet casings and a fragment of a slug from the scene. Police believe the robbers had only one gun.

ACP Zainuddin said police have recorded statements from the staff and are viewing the shop's CCTV recording for leads.

Another shooting

Meanwhile, in Nibong Tebal, Penang, a 43-year-old restaurant owner was critically injured yesterday afternoon after he was shot four times by a gunman riding pillion on a motorcycle.

The victim was driving alone in a car when the incident happened.

He is now warded in the intensive care unit at the Seberang Jaya Hospital, The New Straits Times reported.

Get The New Paper for more stories.