PETALING JAYA - Fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho has proclaimed his innocence over allegations related to 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) in a signed letter uploaded to his personal website.
Low, also known as Jho Low, admitted that in hindsight, he might have done things differently.
"But any mistakes I made do not amount to the sweepingly broad and destructive allegations being made against me.
"Let me be clear: I am innocent," Low wrote.
A notice on the website said that jho-low.com was created on behalf of Low through his legal counsel to provide information to the public.
A search on the Internet archive shows that the website has been updated since 2015 but until recently only contained general information on Low.
According to the WHOIS database, jho-low.com was created on June 2, 2014.
Yesterday, the link to the website was shared extensively on social media, after the undated letter was posted.
"I only ask that everyone - courts, prosecutors, and the general public - keep an open mind until all of the evidence comes to light," Low wrote in the letter.
The financier wrote that for the past several years, he had been subjected to a series of allegations around the globe in relation to the operations of 1MDB.
He said many of the allegations had originated from blog posts, "improper" leaks from governmental agencies around the world, or unproven allegations filed in court, where he had never been afforded an opportunity to set the record straight.
"I have been paraded in effigy through the streets of Kuala Lumpur, and photographs from my younger days plastered in tabloids across the globe.
"It has become clear that there is no platform where objective information can be presented regarding this issue - and no jurisdiction that hasn't been poisoned by gossip, innuendo, and unproven allegations.
"This website is an effort to change that," Low wrote.
The 36-year-old Penangite is described as a "global philanthropist, investor and entrepreneur" on the website.
A check with an official from a public affairs firm representing Low confirmed the veracity of the website.
Meanwhile, Swiss whistleblower Xavier Justo, in an immediate response, said: "The Jho Low website does not show any proof of his innocence.
"It is just a bunch of legal documents showing that he wants a few cases to be dismissed.
"It's the way the justice system works, you can be as guilty as guilty is and ask for a case to be dismissed. It's not proof of innocence," he told The Star.
The former PetroSaudi International executive said he was appalled at Low's attempts to defend himself through the website.
"Any decent person will face justice (in court) if he can prove that he is innocent," he said.
He added that he was amazed at Low's attempts to try to "stop the distribution of books, abuse the justice system and hire public relations officers to defend his reputation while also creating a website to tell fairy tales".
Low's current whereabouts are unknown; he has been speculated to be hiding in China or the Caribbean.
He and his father, Tan Sri Low Hock Peng, were charged in absentia in Malaysia last month over money allegedly stolen from 1MDB.
Last week, Low, through the London-based law firm Schillings, sought to ban the books, The Sarawak Report by Clare Rewcastle Brown and Billion Dollar Whale by The Wall Street Journal's Tom Wright and Bradley Hope, from going on sale.