Mahathir: I don't want to be part of the sex video issue

PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed repeated his stand on rejecting gutter politics while denying he was shielding Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali who has been implicated in a sex scandal.

I am not defending him, I am saying I don't want to get trapped in this kind of dirty politics, said the prime minister after launching the National Strategy for Financial Literacy 2019-2023 yesterday.

Dr Mahathir also said the video was purposely created to achieve certain nasty objectives and to prevent "somebody" from making progress in politics.

"It's quite different from recording something that just happened.

"This was planned, and I am not going to be an agent in making that plan a success," he added.

The Prime Minister also wants the mastermind behind the sex video that went viral to be brought to justice.

"Well if (the authorities) can find the identity of those who actually produced this particular video and showed them on the Internet ... I think they should be punished.

"This is not the kind of politics we want," Dr Mahathir said.

He also said "I am not the investigator," when asked if he knew the identity of the mastermind, whom police said was a leader of a political party.

Earlier in the day, Dr Mahathir said he will not be used by the masterminds of the sex video.

The Prime Minister said the next course of action expected is the removal of the targeted individual.

"I can do this because I have the power. When this is done, those who masterminded this could be successful. It is obvious that the mastermind had bad intentions and is using dirty politics," he said in a blog post on chedet.cc yesterday.

The matter would be dealt with as a political issue, he said.

Dr Mahathir also said his religion forbade him from snooping to expose the fault of others and what was done was worse than snooping.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Abdul Hamid Bador said investigations are ongoing.

"I got many more important things to do.

"As I said, service delivery - I want to improve on that.

"Don't drag me and bog me down with all these unnecessary (issues).

"When I said investigations were ongoing, that is going on. It has not been completed yet. Once it's completed, I'll send it to the Attorney-General," he told reporters.

Last week, Abdul Hamid said CyberSecurity Malaysia determined that the video was likely authentic but could not identify those in the sex video through facial recognition software.

He also said investigations into the sex video scandal revealed that there was an evil conspiracy led by a political party leader to humiliate and damage the reputation of an individual.

The police chief also said the video, which was spread to cause unrest among the public, was produced by parties that paid hundreds of thousands of ringgit.

So far, 11 people have been detained over the case to date, with five subsequently released after their remand expired on July 18.

Among those detained are former PKR Santubong Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz and Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak, who is Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's political secretary and Perak PKR chief.

Haziq had confessed publicly that he was one of the two men in the video and alleged that the other person was Azmin.

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES