KOTA BARU - Most major roads heading towards Kota Baru are now open to all traffic due to the improving flood situation in Kelantan.
However, nine people have drowned in the state since the major floods struck the east coast.
Kelantan flood disaster committee chairman Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said the Public Works Department has confirmed that the major state roads are now open and could be used to transport humanitarian aid.
"Most of the major roads are now accessible, but the roads in some remote areas, like Jalan Sungai Durian-Kuala Krai route, can only be accessed by trucks and four-wheel-drive vehicles," he said at the state disaster management media centre here yesterday.
The East Coast Expressway was among the major roads to be flooded on Sunday when water from Sungai Pahang spilled over onto the highway near Temerloh, cutting off access to most parts of Pahang, Kelantan and Terengganu.
Among the main roads previously closed to traffic were stretches from Gua Musang to Kuala Krai, from Kuala Krai to Machang, from Machang to Kota Baru and Kota Baru to Pasir Mas.
"Our main focus is to bring all humanitarian aid and logistics to the areas that were inaccessible earlier."
Meanwhile, state police said rescuers have found bodies of nine of the 13 people who have been declared missing since Dec 17.
Kelantan police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mazlan Lazim said three bodies were found in Kota Baru, four in Pasir Mas, and two in Tumpat.
"We have yet to locate a three-year-old child in Pasir Mas and three people said to be missing in Kuala Krai," he said, adding that police have formed eight teams to check on looting.
He also warned rumour-mongers that they risk being arrested if they spread wrong or false information.