Man who mowed down Malaysian marathon runner gets four years' jail

Teoh Thiam Lim, 30, was charged with causing the death of Ang by reckless or dangerous driving.
PHOTO: Youtube/The Star Online

KLANG - The man who mowed down marathon runner Evelyn Ang and two others during the Klang City International Marathon in 2017 has been sentenced to four years in jail.

In delivering his judgment on Monday (May 27), Magistrate Roslizi Sulaiman said he had taken into consideration the mitigation by both the defence and prosecution as well as the impact statement made by Ang's husband Dennis Loo.

Roslizi also fined Teoh Thiam Lim, 30, RM7,000 (S$2300) as well as suspending his driving licence for three years.

He also ordered that the mishap be recorded in Teoh's licence.

Teoh was initially charged with reckless and dangerous driving under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987.

The charge was later amended to causing death by reckless or dangerous driving under the same Act after Ang's death.

Ang, 44, was rammed together with two other runners Amiruddin Hamid, 39, and Ahmad Hadafi Jus, 44, around 4.30am along the second mile Jalan Kapar stretch, which was the 14km mark of the run on Dec 10, 2017.

Teoh had sped off after hitting the trio.

The two men were not injured as severely as Ang, who had serious cranial injuries and bleeding in the brain.

She died without gaining consciousness on March 1, 2018.

In his impact statement, Loo, who teared up while reading from a prepared script said he has been scarred for life more so after watching the accident on CCTV.

"The image will remain in my memory forever," he said.

He added that Teoh's act of reckless driving had robbed Ang of her life.

"He is alive today. My wife is no longer here. It is not a very simple thing to lose someone whom you choose to be your soulmate," said Loo.

Teoh's defence counsel Ravi Nekoo asked the court for a stay of execution pending appeal but the request was rejected by Roslizi who explained that he did not want to set a precedent.

Teoh was escorted to prison to serve the sentence which Roslizi ordered to start on Monday.