PETALING JAYA - Only 13 Malaysian families have so far accepted the advanced compensation payment from Malaysia Airlines (MAS) over the MH370 tragedy, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.
He said another 22 families of victims of the ill-fated flight - 13 from China and nine from other countries - have also accepted the payment.
Liow denied that the victims' families had rejected the compensation offered but they wanted more clarification on the matter.
"MAS must provide more details and explanation on the payments and we will continue to engage with the families about this.
"Some families are worried that if they take the advanced compensation payment, they will not be getting any other additional compensation," he told The Star during an official visit to its headquarters here yesterday.
Liow said MAS was offering the advanced compensation of US$50,000 (RM174,218) as part of a full insurance compensation.
"While some of the MH370 victims' next-of-kin have taken the payment, others were still waiting for the search to be completed."
He said the search for the plane's remnants was ongoing, with three vessels scanning the seabed of the Indian Ocean.
"The technology used for the deep sea search is able to produce very clear images of the seabed. It can zoom in on any important clue. It is hoped that we will be able to find the plane's wreckage as soon as possible," Liow said.
It was reported that the next phase of the search began in October and will go on for 12 months.
MAS was offering an advanced compensation payment of US$50,000 per claimant from the airline's insurance.
Flight MH370, with 239 people aboard, was en route to Beijing when it vanished about an hour after take-off from KL International Airport on March 8.