Missing MH370: 'Info received corroborated by other satellites'

Missing MH370: 'Info received corroborated by other satellites'
Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein.

SEPANG - Malaysia is waiting for confirmation "any time now" that the two objects spotted in the southern Indian Ocean are indeed debris from missing Flight MH370, Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said.

"It will be the most important breaking news which the people here and throughout the world will want to know and, believe me, when we get the information we will release it," he told reporters at the daily 5.30pm media briefing at Sama-Sama Hotel here.

Hishammuddin said aircraft and ships had been sent to the area to locate the objects spotted by satellite.

"This gives us hope. As long as there is hope, we will continue our search and that is why I said that it is a priority to find the aircraft and the 'black box' (flight data recorder).

"To be fair to the families, we must never, never give up hope," said the acting Transport Minister.

Hishammuddin described the discovery of the objects in the sea 2,500km south-west of Perth as the most credible lead so far in the search for the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200 that went missing 49 minutes after taking off from Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on March 8.

On his assessment of the likelihood that the objects were indeed debris from the missing aircraft, Hishammuddin said he felt "comfortable" that it was a credible lead that needed to be verified as soon as possible.

"The information that we have received from the Australian authorities on the images was corroborated to a certain extent by other satellites.

"This is why we are sending our ships across to investigate and why the Prime Minister of Australia contacted our Prime Minister, as it is different from earlier leads."

More about

MH370 Search
Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.