SEPANG - MH370 was not seen over the Maldives, said acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein.
Speaking at a press conference at the Sama-Sama hotel here, Hishamuddin said the confirmation was made by top-level armed forces personnel in both countries.
"Regarding reports that the plane was sighted in the Maldives, I can confirm that the Malaysian Chief of the Defence Force has contacted his counterpart in the Maldives, who has confirmed that these reports are not true," said Hishamuddin on Wednesday.
It had been reported by the Maldivian daily Haveeru that residents of Kuda Huvadhoo in Dhaal Atoll in the Maldives reportedly saw a "low-flying jumbo jet" flying over houses early in the morning of March 8, the same day Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 went missing.
Eyewitnesses who reportedly saw the aircraft agreed that it was travelling in a north to southeast heading towards Addu, the southern tip of the Maldives, and all commented on the very loud noise the aircraft made when flying over the island.
MH370 had left Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing with 239 passengers and crew. The Boeing 777 disappeared from Malaysian radars at 2.15am on March 8.