More people in flood-hit Perak forced to leave home

KUALA LUMPUR - More people were evacuated in Perak due to the floods, while the situation in Terengganu and Malacca remained largely unchanged as of yesterday morning.

The number of evacuees at the relief centre at Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Jong, near Teluk Intan in Perak, rose to 325 as of 8am, up from 310 recorded on Tuesday night.

According to Hilir Perak DepartĀ­ment of Civil Defence officer Mohd Fazly Mohamad Zawawi, the evacuees were from 97 families.

They were from four areas, namely Lorong Mesra at Batu 7, Lorong Kedah at Batu 8, Lorong Setia at Batu 11 and Kampung Batu 9, he added.

The recent floods are the second to strike Changkat Jong in two weeks after Sungai Bidor overflowed.

On Nov 14, 56 people from 16 families in Lorong Mesra had to leave their homes for four days after the river burst its banks following heavy rain.

In Terengganu, the number of evacuees camping at SK Kompleks Gong Badak in Kuala Terengganu dropped to 234 yesterday morning, compared to 247 on Tuesday night.

According to the Terengganu National Security Council portal, the weather had remained fine since Tuesday, giving hope that the evacuees would be able to return to their homes yesterday.

In Malacca, 14 evacuees remained at the community hall of Kampung Pulau, Durian Tunggal, near Alor Gajah.

They were from four families from the village, said Malacca National Security Council assistant secretary Jafri Mohamed.

"The floodwaters in the village are stagnant for the moment," he said.

In Johor, an hour-long downpour caused flash floods in several parts of Johor Baru.

Among the affected areas were Jalan Skudai along the Danga Bay Waterfront development stretch, Jalan Tebrau near Wisma Daiman and Kampung Melayu Majidee, where water overflowed from nearby Sungai Pandan.

Account executive Roslee Ibrahim, who works in the Johor Baru Central Business district and lives in Taman Perling, said it was normal for water to rise along Jalan Skudai during heavy rain.

An office employee in Wisma Daiman, who only wanted to be known as Rajeswary, said that the water level started to raise slowly at 3pm but two hours later, it was already receding.