Mum of dead Japanese student won't believe it's suicide

PETALING JAYA: The mother of a 22-year-old Japanese student who was found dead at the ground floor of the Impian Seri Setia flats dismissed talk that he committed suicide and hoped the public would provide information on his whereabouts on Oct 3.

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, said her son had been studying in Kuala Lumpur for three years and had never shown any signs of depression. She added that he had taken a break from college to pursue a career in fashion design.

"He was excited about starting his own clothing brand when we met him two weeks ago.

"Our family never saw this coming. We are very broken-hearted," said the distraught mother when contacted Thursday.

Police received a report at 3.30pm last Thursday from a witness who saw the victim plunging to his death.

The Japanese family, who had been living in Malaysia for 20 years, were informed of his death on Oct 4. They had flown in from Penang to claim his body and to make funeral arrangements.

Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Arjunaidi Mohamed urged the public to contact the police with any information on the incident.

In an unrelated case, a South Korean store manager, believed to have fallen from the 32nd floor of a condominium in Mont Kiara, was believed to have been struggling to keep his business afloat. A mutual friend, who did not want to be named, said the 37-year-old manager and his business partner, also a South Korean, had a meeting at a restaurant in Segambut last Friday.

"They were arguing. Apparently the men were forced to go back to South Korea if their business failed," the friend said.

Witnesses told police they saw the two men fighting and hitting each other on the head with beer bottles.

The manager drove home after the fight while his business partner went to the Gleneagles Hospital in Ampang for treatment and later lodged a report at the Brickfields district police station. He then returned to their apartment at 6.30am.

At 7.10am, a security guard chanced upon the manager's body. He informed the business partner a couple of hours later.

Police found a noose dangling in the bathroom, leading them to believe that the victim had attempted suicide by hanging, but failed.

Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Muhammad Azlee Abdullah said that the case had been classified as a sudden death.

"We have not discovered any sign of foul play," he added.

Purchase this article for republication.