KUALA LUMPUR - Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (pic) has sought a second opinion before initiating legal action against the Wall Street Journal over its 1Malaysia Development Bhd articles.
His lawyer Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun said this was in light of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission's statement which contradicts the publisher's suggestion the money came from 1MDB's coffers.
On Monday, the MACC issued a statement that some RM2.6bil had been found in Najib's private bank accounts but clarified it was from donations.
The firm had sent a letter of clarification to WSJ for an explanation over its July 2 article accusing Najib of transferring 1MDB funds into his personal accounts.
Dow Jones & Company, the publisher of the US-based newspaper, on July 23 merely said the contents of the article was "self explanatory".
"The publishers had studiously avoided admitting their article accused that the money comes from 1MDB," he said at the Duta Court Complex yesterday. Mohd Hafarizam said Najib was considering consulting a Queen's counsel or an American lawyer as the matter had issues of international jurisdiction.
Although no deadline was set, he declined to confirm the course of legal action being considered.
"We are not ruling out the possibility of filing a suit, but we're keeping our options open at this point," said Mohd Hafarizam.