Overnight visitors at Laban Rata unfazed after quakes

Houses damaged by mudslides near Mount Kinabalu. The aftermath of the June 5 earthquake that killed 18 has seen mudslides, landslips and flooding, as heavy rains continue to hit the mountainous area for the past one week.
The Star

KOTA KINABALU: Some 50 people staying overnight at Mount Kinabalu's Laban Rata resthouse were unfazed after they felt a weak 3.3-magnitude earthquake late Monday.

"It (the aftershock) passed without any incident. Everyone remained calm during the tremor which lasted several seconds," said Kinabalu Park manager Yassin Miki.

He added that such mild tremors no longer raised concerns, but they would have evacuated if the aftershock had been stronger.

When the aftershock struck at 9.17pm on Monday, there were 10 tourists, along with mountains guides and staff of Sutera Sanctuary Lodge together with some 30 Sabah Parks employees repairing the trail to the summit.

Yassin also said that there were no reports of falling rocks or boulders at the summit area following the tremor.

More then 120 aftershocks have been felt since the magnitude 6 earthquake that hit the western side of Mount Kinabalu on June 5 occured, killing 18 people including climbers and mountain guides.

The mountain partially re-opened on Sept 1 for climbers to go to Panar Laban resthouse (3,272m) from Sept 1 and work is continuing to cut out a new route to the highest point at Low Peak (4,095m) by Dec 1.

Yassin said work on the new summit trail was moving smoothly although they were waiting for material to build bridges and put up ladders for the new route.

Villagers living along the foothills of the mountain, meanwhile, said that there were no fresh incidents of mudflows or landslips following heavy overnight rain late Monday.