BUKIT MERTAJAM, Penang - The 19-year-old part-time model, who drove against traffic on the North-South Expressway and crashed her car killing a motorist and injuring four others, was involved in an earlier accident some five kilometres away prior to the deadly mishap.
Central Seberang Perai OCPD Asst Comm Nik Ros Azhan said the woman told police during the investigation that she had seen "a lorry" in front of her car right before the Sungai Dua toll plaza, causing her to make a sudden and illegal U-turn.
"She was driving in the middle lane on the three-lane expressway before making a sudden U-turn and driving on.
"Her car grazed two cars and a van before she continued driving from KM128 to KM134, against traffic on the fast lane.
"Police have retrieved CCTV footage of the incident from the Sungai Dua toll plaza," he told a press conference at the police headquarters on Wednesday.
ACP Nik Ros said that the suspect was brought to the hospital for treatment to her eye, and a blood and urine test had been conducted.
"She tested positive for amphetamines and not methamphetamines as earlier reported. However, we have not received the results of the alcohol reading in her blood," he said.
When asked if there was indeed a lorry in front of the suspect's car, causing her to make the U-turn, ACP Nik Ros said there was none.
He added that initial investigations found that the suspect had hung out with her friends in Bukit Mertajam on the night before the incident.
Police believe that the suspect was heading home after her night out, before the accident occurred.
ACP Nik Ros further said that police had received seven reports - four from Central Seberang Perai and three from North Seberang Perai - following the incident.
"We have questioned eight people so far - four victims and four eye-witnesses," he said.
The suspect has been remanded for four days, until March 18, to assist in investigations.