School canteen controversy resolved, says Deputy Minister

Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Pristana, Sungai Buloh.

SUNGAI BULOH: The issue of a school making students eat in a changing room has been resolved and the canteen will be reopened to students from Wednesday.

"As far as we are concerned, the issue is resolved. The headmaster had good intentions but chose a poor location. He has apologised. I too apologise. It won't happen again," said Education and Higher Learning Deputy Minister P Kamalanathan.

He said that the Ministry had taken immediate action on the case and we would be conducting spot checks on other schools.

"The changing rooms had been used along with the canteen by all students since March, because the canteen can only seat 500 to 600 people. SK Seri Pristana has 1,300 students," the Hulu Selangor MP told reporters during a press conference at the school canteen.

"Due to renovations beginning in the canteen two weeks ago, all children were asked to eat in the changing rooms. This is because teachers were concerned the kids might get hurt during renovations," he explained.

The renovations, now completed, were to install glass doors for the teacher's section of the canteen.

Kamalanathan also said the school had applied for an allocation from the ministry to extend the cafeteria which was too small to accommodate all its students.

"I will also be making a personal contribution of RM10,000," he said, agreeing that the school had not complied with school facility guidelines.