'Second fire' at JB Hospital caused by spark from plug point

Firefighters putting out the fire on the second floor of the Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Baru on 25 October 2016.
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

JOHOR BARU - The "second fire" reported Wednesday at Sultanah Aminah Hospital was due to a spark caused by a plug point that was exposed to water in the operating theatre.

The incident which caused smoke to emit in the theatre forced staff and patients to evacuate.

Staff at the hospital was able to prevent a fire from breaking out.

Johor Baru (South) OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said police had to shut down certain sections of the main building since Tuesday when a fire killed six people in the intensive care unit.

At least 6 killed in fire at Johor Baru hospital

  • At least six patients have been killed in a fire that broke out at the intensive care unit of the Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Baru.
  • Many of the patients were evacuated to other wards after the fire broke out at the building's top floor
  • Johor Baru (South) OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said the victims were all patients warded at the ICU, located on the second flood of the hospital's main building.
  • "We are in the midst of putting out all the smoke from the building and once it is cleared, then the authorities will be able to know the exact number of victims," he said when met at the scene here.
  • It is understood that patients in the maternity ward, including some who had just given birth, were evacuated safely.

"The spark occurred at around 1.50pm when water from cleaning works on the second floor splashed into a plug point in the operation room on the first floor.

"The spark caused smoke to emit but no one was injured due to the quick action of hospital staff," he told reporters.

Read also: JB hospital fire blamed on faulty wiring

ACP Sulaiman said the operating threatre is under renovation.

"We have closed down the main building for 24 hours due to security reasons," he said.

Many hospital staff in blue operating uniforms were seen rushing out of the trauma ward with patients.

According to a volunteer, smoke was coming out of the operating theatre located on the first floor of the ward.

A fire engine was seen entering the hospital ground and security personnel asked hospital staff, patients, and public to leave the area immediately.

The interior of a hospital building affected by the fire. Photo: The Star/Asia News Network

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES