PETALING JAYA - The Sultan of Selangor has given Pakatan Rakyat until Sept 3 to submit more names for the mentri besar's post.
The Palace issued the letters separately to PAS, PKR and DAP despite PKR and DAP's insistence on sticking to just PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah's name.
The letters, addressed to PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang, Dr Wan Azizah and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, requested that each party nominate more names for the state's top post.
"We received the letter today," said PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.
He said the coalition parties were asked to submit the names by Sept 3.
"I will wait for instructions from Dr Wan Azizah."
PAS secretary-general Datuk Mustafa Ali and Lim said they had yet to see the letter and would do the necessary once it was in their hands.
On Tuesday, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah decreed that all the three parties should submit more than two names for his consideration.
PAS said it would adhere to the Sultan's instruction.
"We respect the Tuanku's decree and will send not less than two names," said Mustafa.
Lim said the party's stand had been announced previously but with the latest development, he would look at the letter before making further plans.
Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, who has submitted his resignation letter to the Sultan, will remain as Mentri Besar until a new one is appointed.
Apart from Dr Wan Azizah, several other names that have been mentioned as possible candidates include Bukit Antarabangsa assemblyman and PKR deputy president Azmin Ali and Ijok assemblyman Dr Idris Ahmad.
On Tuesday, PKR and DAP made a defiant stand by claiming that it would only submit Dr Wan Azizah's name.
Asked about the joint statement signed by Saifuddin and DAP's Tony Pua on Tuesday, Lim said it represented the party's position at that time - before learning of the letter from the Palace.
On a related matter, Koperasi Serbaguna Anak-anak Selangor (Kosas) urged the Sultan to appoint only a Selangor-born candidate as the new mentri besar.
Kosas added that its 3,500 members and their 15,000 family members would provide undivided loyalty and support for any action the Sultan took regarding the post of mentri besar.
PAS to nominate three PKR assemblymen
SHAH ALAM - PAS will not be nominating any of its assemblymen to take up the Selangor Mentri Besar post but will nominate three Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) assemblymen instead, said PAS secretary-general Datuk Mustafa Ali.
"The decision not to nominate any PAS assemblymen (for the MB post) is final. This is because the post is reserved for PKR. We respect this.
"So we feel it is not right for us to nominate our assemblymen," he told reporters after attending a closed-door meeting with the state PAS leaders at the party's headquarters, here, late Wednesday.
Also present were PAS central committee member and Shah Alam MP Khalid Samad, Selangor PAS commissioner and Chempaka assemblyman Iskandar Abdul Samad and Selangor PAS secretary Mohd Khairuddin Othman, who is also Paya Jaras assemblyman.
Asked when PAS will be submitting the names to the Selangor Palace, Mustafa said it would be done before next Wednesday.
"We cannot reveal the names as yet ... wait for the announcement," he said.
The Sultan has given PAS, DAP and PKR until Sept 3 to submit more names for the mentri besar post to replace Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim.
In letters from the palace issued on Wednesday, Pakatan component parties were instructed to forward more names by Sept 3, despite the insistence of PKR and DAP to back only PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.
The letters addressed to PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng and Dr Wan Azizah requested for the three parties to nominate more than two names each for the post of mentri besar.
Khalid had tendered his resignation after losing Pakatan's support. However, the Sultan has asked him to stay on as the Mentri Besar pending the appointment of his successor.