Woman forgives friend over death of her daughter

Grieving parents: Nur Daliia and husband Syabandi who lost their daughter Annur Sumayyah.
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

GEORGE TOWN - What should have been a happy reunion between two friends turned tragic when one of them caused the death of the other's daughter.

Nur Daliia Yusoff, 28, who was seven months pregnant, came from Kuching in January to her mother's place to deliver her second child.

She then asked her 35-year-old friend, who was working nearby, to stay with her at Rumah Panjang in Tanjung Tokong.

Tragedy struck on Wednesday afternoon when the friend accidentally reversed her car into the porch and killed Nur Daliia's three-year-old daughter.

"I knew her when I was working in Tesco. We have been friends for seven years and she lives at the apartment nearby," said Nur Daliia at her house after the funeral of her daughter Annur Sumayyah Syabandi yesterday morning.

As her husband was in Kuching, she had asked her friend to stay with her to keep her company and help with errands and drive her to the hospital for check-ups.

"Both of us were in the house on Wednesday and my friend walked out to move her car which was blocking the narrow road beside my house.

"My daughter was with my father playing in the porch when I suddenly heard a loud crash.

"I rushed out and saw the car in the porch, and my daughter lying on the ground and bleeding from her head.

"I lifted her and held her to my chest while calling her name," recalled Nur Daliia.

Annur Sumayyah did not respond and was pronounced dead by the doctor in the ambulance.

Police confirmed that Annur Sumayyah was flung from the impact and had died of severe head injury.

Nur Daliia's father, who was at the side of the porch, escaped unhurt.

"She was an active and lively girl and was close to my mum who died of cancer in April last year.

"Annur was asking for her and I was going to bring her to visit my mother's grave in a few days," Nur Daliia said tearfully.

Her husband, Syabandi Samsudin, 29, who serves in the Royal Malaysian Air Force in Kuching, rushed back after hearing the news.

"My husband and I have forgiven my friend. It was an accident that was fated to happen," she said.

Her friend is being held by the police to help with the investigation.