Unable to use NS cash award in education account

Unable to use NS cash award in education account

SINGAPORE - It is heartening to note that the Government is recognising the contributions of national servicemen through the National Service Recognition Award.

My children received this award in the form of cash deposited into their Post Secondary Education Accounts.

However, they cannot use it to repay the "loan" from my wife's Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings that was used to fund their polytechnic education prior to national service.

Since my children have also completed their university education overseas, they will not be able to use the money in their Post Secondary Education Accounts.

My sons are helping me to pay the bank loans for their university education, while also paying the "loan" from their mother's CPF account. This can be quite a burden for young men just embarking on their careers.

Can the CPF Board and Ministry of Education look into this matter?

I am certain many national servicemen are in the same situation of having to repay their parents' CPF "loans".

Foo Der Ho

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.
Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.