CINCINNATI, US - Stan Wawrinka has accused Australian bad boy Nick Kyrgios of failing to apologise properly for his lurid outburst towards the Swiss star.
Kyrgios, 20, made worldwide headlines last week after he made crude remarks concerning Wawrinka's reported girlfriend, teenager Donna Vekic, during a Rogers Cup match against the Swiss in Montreal.
He was heard - via on-court microphones - telling French Open champion Wawrinka that "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend".
The latter is 19-year-old Australian player Thanasi Kokkinakis, who had played mixed doubles with her at the Australian Open last year.
It was only after the ATP announced that it would fine Kyrgios that the player went into damage control mode.
"I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the comments I made during the match last night vs Stan," he tweeted.
He also posted the comment on Facebook, adding: "My comments were made in the heat of the moment and were unacceptable on many levels.
"In addition to the private apology I've made, I would like to make a public apology as well. I take full responsibility for my actions and regret what happened."
He was fined US$10,000 (S$14,000) for the remark by the ATP Tour, which launched an investigation into the remark which could result in further action against him.
World No. 5 Wawrinka admitted the controversy was still on his mind on Wednesday after fighting back from a set down to defeat Croatia's Borna Coric 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 at the Cincinnati Open.
He said Kyrgios' apology did not go far enough.
"He didn't really apologise to the people. He should. That's it. That simple," said Wawrinka, who is divorcing his wife of six years.
"There was a lot of anger in the locker room about what he did. As a player, you realise more what he did and what is the consequence for the private lives of people involved.
"They were not just a few words. With one sentence, he can touch and hurt a lot of people. I had a lot of support in the locker room, that's for sure."
Vekic, 19, finally made her own response after being dropped into the controversy. "It's not easy but I'm trying to focus on tennis and my next match," she told The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
"I haven't spoken to Kyrgios. But it's a very disappointing thing to be happening in our sport and I hope it won't happen again because it's not a very good image for our sport."
Kyrgios has been the target of criticism from the tennis establishment several times for his on-court behaviour.
At Wimbledon, he drew jeers from the public as he apparently did not bother to compete for a game in the second set of his fourth-round defeat by Richard Gasquet. He also had problems with chair umpires during the fortnight.
Also on Wednesday, Kokkinakis lost to 12th-seed Gasquet 7-6 (7-5), 6-2, a day after the Frenchman eliminated Kyrgios.