Liverpool hang on to beat Sunderland, keep title dream alive

Liverpool hang on to beat Sunderland, keep title dream alive
Liverpool's Steven Gerrard acknowledges fans after their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014.

LONDON - Liverpool stayed firmly in the hunt for a first league title in 24 years as superb strikes from Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge fired them to a 2-1 win over an obdurate Sunderland side at Anfield on Wednesday.

The Merseyside club's seventh successive Premier League victory, achieved without the swaggering attacking play that has lit up their recent performances, moved them back ahead of Manchester City into second place one point behind Chelsea.

After struggling to get into their stride against a stubborn Sunderland rearguard, a powerful Gerrard free kick and a curled effort from Sturridge earned Liverpool a two-goal advantage before Ki sung-Yueng pulled one back 14 minutes from time to ensure a nervy end to the game.

"You have to give credit to Sunderland, they have come to make it difficult for us, they were difficult to break down," Liverpool captain Gerrard told Sky Sports.

"We need to learn that when we go two goals ahead we can't concede. We need to hold on and pass it better."

Defeat left struggling Sunderland three points adrift of safety in 18th place in the relegation battle as West Ham United moved further clear of danger with a 2-1 home win over 10-man Hull City.

The east London club suffered the ignominy of being booed despite taking all three points, heightening the tension between manager Sam Allardyce and the Upton Park crowd.


The confidence that is bubbling to the surface in Liverpool was typified by the hordes of flag-waving fans and puffing plumes of red smoke that greeted the Liverpool team bus as it pulled up at an Anfield sizzling with anticipation.

A lack of belief in Sunderland's ranks, however, meant manager Gus Poyet parked the bus on the edge of their penalty area.

Murmurs of frustration began to spread through the stadium as Sunderland reached the half-hour mark without being breached as the hosts failed to create a noteworthy chance.

Yet Liverpool's patient probing eventually told when the visitors conceded a free kick on the edge of their area with defender Santiago Vergini perhaps lucky to escape a red card for bringing down Luis Suarez.

Suarez and Daniel Agger stood poised over the ball before Gerrard made a late dash and curled his effort past Sunderland keeper Vito Mannone into the top corner.

If the first half was largely frustrating for the hosts, the second began with an early goal that lifted the tension.

Strurridge was allowed the space to cut into the Sunderland box on his favourite left foot and curled a superb effort into the top corner to become the second Liverpool player to reach 20 league goals for the season after Suarez.

It was a goal that allowed Liverpool to cut loose but they could not muster a third goal and out of nowhere with time running out, Sunderland dragged themselves back into the contest.

More about

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.