Kovan double murders: Most didn't notice bloodstains on car

SINGAPORE - For more than 12 hours after the father-and-son deaths on Wednesday, the getaway car - a silver Camry - was sitting in an industrial estate in Eunos.

It was left in a parallel parking lot and, despite having bloodstains on it, most people in the area did not notice that it was the car the police were looking for until yesterday morning.

One man who did spot the bloodstains did not report it immediately.

A technician who wanted to be known as Mr Sim, 40, said he had seen the car parked next to Block 1084, Eunos Avenue 7A, since late Wednesday afternoon.

"I saw the car and the blood on it, but I didn't think it was anything," said Mr Sim, who works at a furniture shop 5m from the parked car.

"There was a bit of blood on the driver's side of the car, but I thought it was just from a fight.

Police appeal

"I didn't think it was serious, until I came back the next day and saw it was still there. I told my colleagues, who then told me the police had been looking for it in connection with a murder."

The police had appealed for information on the car - a silver Camry with the licence plate SGM 14J - on Wednesday evening. A similar alert was sent out to police officers at 5pm.

The car had dragged Mr Tan Chee Heong, 42, for 1km from 14J, Hillside Drive, to Kovan MRT Station, where his body was found.

Eyewitnesses said the body was dragged face down as the car weaved in-and-out of traffic. The driver did not stop, despite "15 to 20 other cars" honking.

When TNP asked workers in the Eunos industrial area yesterday if they had noticed the car parked there the day before, almost all of them said no.

Mr Sim said he had informed his colleagues and boss, Mr Gui, at about 8.10am yesterday.

"Sim saw the car and didn't think much of it at first, as he thought the blood was from a minor fight," Mr Gui, 65, said..

"I checked the car after he told me and realised it was the one the police were looking for. I then got my friend to call the police."

Within minutes, about a dozen officers had cordoned off the area as another dozen officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) collected evidence.

As curious onlookers gathered to watch, the CID officers went to work within the cordon between two industrial blocks, where they were seen labelling and taking pictures of potential evidence.

Mr Gui said he saw police officers take away three plastic bags of items recovered from the back seat of the car.

The car was jacked up, and one officer was seen going under it to check for evidence.

It was towed away just past noon.