No foul play in Glee star's death: Police

Glee star Cory Monteith has been found dead in a hotel room in Canada, multiple sources reported.

The star was found dead in the Fairmont Pacific Rim, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed. The actor was 31.

Monteith was found at noon on Saturday on the hotel's 21st floor, Vancouver police said in a news conference. He checked into the hotel on July 6, and was expected to check out on Saturday. When Monteith missed his noon checkout time, hotel staff went to his room and discovered his body, police added.

Monteith had voluntarily checked himself into rehab for substance abuse in March.

The actor has played Finn Hudson on TV series Glee since it debuted in 2009.

Authorities said the cause of death was not immediately apparent but that there were no signs of foul play.

Glee actor who plays Finn Hudson found dead
Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: Reuters, AFP, SingTel, YouTube)


Shortly after noon today, the Vancouver Police received a call from the BC Ambulance Service regarding a sudden death in a room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel at 1038 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver.

Police attended within minutes of the call and paramedics advised the man in the room was clearly deceased. Coroner's staff did attend the scene.

The deceased has been identified as 31-year-old actor Cory Monteith, who achieved great fame on the popular TV series Glee.

Before I give further information, on behalf of the Vancouver Police, I want to pass on our condolences to the family, friends, castmates and millions of fans of Mr. Monteith. As was the case in countless homes, I watched Glee regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death.

Mr. Monteith checked into the hotel in July 6th and was due to check out of the room today. There were others with Mr. Monteith in his room earlier last night, but video and fob key entries show him returning to his room by himself in the early morning hours and we believe he was alone when he died.

When he missed his check-out time, staff went to the room at noon and found his body.

We know there will be considerable interest in this case, and we have detectives assigned to the case who attended with our Forensic Identification Unit to examine the scene, to ensure to the extent possible that there are no unanswered questions.

Hotel video has been secured as well as room access records. Our investigators have spoken with hotel staff, who are providing the utmost in cooperation.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday. The Coroner will be determining the next steps with respect to establishing cause of death, but all indications are that there was no foul play.

Go to The Straits Times Communities Entertainment for more stories.