Second iPhone shock leaves man in coma

A man is in a coma in Beijing after being shocked while charging his iPhone 4, the second such incident this month, Beijing Evening News reported Thursday.

Wu Jiantong, 30, is in ICU at a hospital in Beijing. His sister Wu Jianxiang recalled, Wu Jiantong put his iPhone 4 on charge on the evening of July 8.

"I had my back to him and suddenly heard him shouting 'shocked'. When I looked back, he was lying on the ground, twitching," said his sister.

She pulled out the charger without hesitation, "I felt an ache in my hands, like the electricity moving from my finger to my toe."

When medics arrived, they found Wu in cardiac arrest and began resuscitation.

A doctor said, "it was an apparent electrical injury after expert diagnose". After a week's treatment, Wu is breathing unaided, but his brain has not recovered and he is still in a coma.

Wu's iPhone 4 is intact without any obvious damage as is the charger and connection panel. Reporters discovered the charger was not an original and was likely a counterfeit.

Meanwhile, Wu's relatives said it was raining on the evening and the air was damp. It may have lowered the insulation connection panel and caused the electric shock.

Apple China rejected any response to the incident when contacted by a reporter.

Days ago, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old flight attendant from Xinjiang, was electrocuted on July 11 when she picked up her iPhone to answer a call while it was plugged in to an electrical outlet.

Apple has offered its condolences to Ma's family, and promised that it will investigate and fully cooperate with authorities in the matter.

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES