Fireworks blow up in his face

An 11-year-old Malaysian boy's experiment with fireworks nearly made him blind in his right eye.

He mixed fireworks chemicals and sand in a bottle, but it exploded in his face near his home in Kota Baru, Kelantan.

Mohd Nor Hakim Mohd Nawi, a Year Five pupil, also suffered serious facial injuries.

His father, Mr Mohd Nawi Wan Sulaiman, 57, said the incident took place about 400m from their home when Mohd Nor Hakim was playing with five of his friends, The Star reported.

Said Mr Mohd Nawi: "I was not at home but what I understand is that my son wanted to be creative by taking out the carbide from the fireworks and putting it into a bottle....

"He then mixed it with sand and used a newspaper to burn it... but instead the bottle exploded."

The boy was then taken to hospital.

Hospital director Dr Ghazali Hasni Md Hassan said the boy needed 14 stitches on his face and was treated for burns on his eyes and mouth.

The doctor said his sight in the right eye may be affected.

He said: "We will have to wait for the eye specialist's diagnosis of his condition to know the extent of the damage to his eyes."

Dr Ghazali Hasni said this was the second case involving fireworks during the fasting month.

He advised parents to monitor their children when they handle fireworks.


Get The New Paper for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.

SERVICES