High-powered team to probe shooting

PETALING JAYA - A joint task force under Federal CID director Comm Datuk Hadi Ho Abdullah, comprising officers from Bukit Aman and Negri Sembilan police, has begun investigations into the attempted murder of MyWatch chairman R. Sri Sanjeevan.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi gave his assurance that the high-powered team would investigate the case thoroughly.

"The ministry views the incident very seriously as Sanjeevan has been actively involved in raising issues pertaining to crime in the past," he said yesterday.

"The police's priority is to uncover who is behind the attempted murder and the motive."

On allegations that police personnel might be behind the shooting, Ahmad Zahid said action would be taken against anyone in the force if there was proof.

"If the allegations are true, those guilty will be arrested and prosecuted without fear or favour," he said. "For now, the police must be allowed to carry out a meticulous probe."

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said as preliminary investigations were already on-going, police would not jump the gun by speculating on the motive behind the shooting.

Sanjeevan, 29, who was driving a silver BMW with a friend in the passenger seat, had stopped at a traffic light at Taman Awana Indah in Bahau at 4.30pm on Saturday.

They were on their way to have a drink when two men on a red motorcycle approached them. The pillion rider fired at Sanjeevan, hitting him on the right side of his ribs.

The pillion rider got off the motorcycle but Sanjeevan managed to speed off. The suspects then escaped in the opposite direction, heading for Rompin.

After driving for about 300m, Sanjeevan's friend managed to stop the car, moved him to the rear seat and drove him to the Jempol Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery.

He was transferred to the Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital at 1.30am, where he is now under tight police security.

Incidentally, his friend was later arrested for a drug-related case after his statement was recorded at the Bahau police station.

Sanjeevan, who has been in the news for exposing corruption in the police force, has received death threats in the past.