P1 registration: How to apply for your kid while you are overseas

P1 registration: How to apply for your kid while you are overseas

Q: Presently, my family and I are living overseas. We plan to send our daughter back to Singapore for her studies. We have bought a HDB flat in Clementi, which will completed by mid-2016. But currently my registered address is my brother's house in Serangoon. So, should I try for a school in Clementi or Serangoon where my brother lives?

A: Parents living overseas can e-mail the required documents to the Pupil Placement Section of the Ministry of Education (MOE) at moe_pps@moe.gov.sg at least one week before the child's eligible registration phase.

Parents should check to ensure their documents have been received.

The address to be used has to be the parents' address as shown in the parents' NRIC.

You can download the application form or obtain the form from the Singapore embassies and clubs overseas.

MOE's Pupil Placement Section will register the child at the phase that he or she is eligible for and inform the parents of the the result by e-mail at the end of the phase.

If the child is unsuccessful in gaining admission to the school of choice, the parents can inform MOE of the school of choice for the next phase that the child is eligible for.

Alternatively, parents can authorise a person to register their child on their behalf. A letter of authorisation is required from the parent.

At the time of registration, photocopies of the supporting documents will be sufficient. The originals of these documents should be presented for verification by the school before the child starts school.

You asked about choosing between schools in Clementi or Serangoon.

You should check the MOE website and visit parents' online forums to gather more information on the schools that are located near your home in Clementi or your brother's home in Serangoon and pick those that offer convenience.

Q: My husband has served as the the treasurer of the Management Committee at Braddell View for over a year. Are we entitled to register under an earlier phase than Phase 2C?

A: No. Not all community leaders are eligible to register their children under Phase 2B of the P1 Registration Exercise. To qualify, community leaders are required to have served actively for at least one year in the Residents' Committee (RC), Neighbourhood Committee (NC), Citizen's Consultative Committee (CCC), Community Club Management Committee (CCMC) or the Community Development Council (CDC).

Q: I have applied for a new BTO flat at Yishun which will only be ready in 2017. I am currently living in Bedok. Can I register my son in a school in Yishun? I work in Yishin and my parent also lives there.

A: The new BTO flat address can be used for this year's registration only if the signed Agreement for Lease with HDB indicates a completion date before 31 December 2015.

If your child is staying in Bedok, you should consider applying for a school in Bedok so that it is more convenient for the child.Subsequently, when you move to your flat at Yishun in 2017, you can seek a school transfer.

Alternatively, if your child is being looked after by your parents in Yishun, you may register your child using the address of the child's grandparents, provided a statutory declaration is made. You can visit the P1 Registration Website for more information on this.

You should note that if balloting is required and a statutory declaration is used, children who are registered using an address of either the grandparents or the parent's sibling and residing within 1 km or between 1 km and 2 km from the school of choice are balloted together with the other children of the same citizenship residing between 1 km and 2 km. This is to be fair to children whose parents' addresses are within 1 km of the school.

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.