2 German citizens charged for vandalism at SMRT Bishan depot

Spray cans and gloves seized from the vandals, as displayed during a police conference at Cantonment Complex on Nov 21, 2014.


SINGAPORE - Two 21-year-old German citizens were charged on Saturday morning for the vandalism of an SMRT train and trespassing at Bishan Depot on November 8, reported The Straits Times.

They were arrested at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Friday morning.

Police said mobile phones, laptops, cameras and three spray nozzles were found in their possession when they arrested the men.

According to The Straits Times, Andreas Von Knorres and Elton Hinz will be remanded at Tanglin Police division for a week with the permission to be taken out to assist in investigation and to reenact the scene.

Criminal Investigation Department Director Tan Chye Hee said that the pair were supposed to depart for Australia but a warrant of arrest was issued by the Singapore State Courts for their apprehension.

Earlier investigations revealed that the two men, who are said to be working in Australia, are believed to have left Singapore for an unknown location after vandalising the train.

They were later found in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur with the assistance of the Royal Malaysia Police and Royal Thai Police.

Senior Assistant Commissioner Tan said: "SPF would like to extend our appreciation to the Royal Malaysia Police and Royal Thai Police for their invaluable assistance and strong support leading to the swift arrest of the two suspects.

"The suspects had displayed a blatant disregard of the law in Singapore. Police do not tolerate such brazen criminal acts and we will spare no effort to hunt down those who commit these crimes, be they locals of foreigners, and bring them to justice," he added.

According to a Land Transport Authority (LTA) spokesperson, “the Public Transport Operators (PTOs) have taken steps to enhance security at their train depots. These include increasing the number of security personnel and frequency of security patrols at the depot, as well as upgrading the perimeter fencing around the depot".

"LTA will continue to work with the PTOs and relevant agencies to take the necessary measures needed to strengthen the security of our PT network. LTA will also continue its investigations into this incident,” he added.

If found guilty of vandalism, the men will face up to three years in jail or a fine of up to $2,000, and between three and eight strokes of the cane.

For trespassing into a protected area, they also face up to two years in jail or a fine of up to $1,000 or both.

They will next appear at the State Court on Nov 28 at 10am, at court 26.