2 women sent to hospital after fire breaks out in Shenton House

Two women were sent to hospital after a fire broke out at Shenton House today (Feb 24) at around 1pm.

Said an SCDF spokesperson: "SCDF was alerted at about 1pm to a fire incident at 3 Shenton Way. SCDF immediately dispatched 3 fire engines, 1 red rhino, 2 ambulances and 2 support vehicles to the scene.

"Upon SCDF's arrival, SCDF found the entire 15th floor to be heavily smoked logged.

"Donning breathing apparatus sets, SCDF conducted forcible entry and extinguished the fire, which involved contents in one of the units with one water jet.

"A female Chinese in her 20s and a female Chinese in her 50s were conveyed to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation.

"The whole building was evacuated.

"SCDF is currently carrying out ventilation operations and conducting a secondary search."

Two Stompers alerted Stomp to an evacuation at Shenton House in Raffles Place that took place today (Feb 24) at around 1.30pm after a fire broke out in the building.

The wife of one of the Stompers witnessed the evacuation and said she saw many people in the building's vicinity.

She also added that it was raining when the evacuation was taking place.

Ms Hairiyah Ismail, 63, who works for a re-insurance firm in the building, told The Straits Times: "My colleague smelled smoke while she was in the toilet and called the management, who confirmed that there was a fire in the building and told us to evacuate.

"When I reached the ground floor, I saw a woman being taken away to an ambulance."

Netizens Andrew Chionh and Raymond Tan posted photos on their Facebook page showing fire engines outside Shenton House.

Stomp has contacted the SCDF for more information and will provide updates when we have them.

Visit STOMP for more stories.