SINGAPORE - PSLE results were released today to Primary 6 pupils at their schools, starting from 11am.
The Ministry of Education (MOE) said that 42,336 pupils sat the Primary School Leaving Examination this year and 97.6 per cent, or 41,329, qualified to move on to secondary school. It added that 66.4 per cent of pupils qualified for the Express course, 20 per cent are eligible for the Normal (Academic) course and 11.2 per cent for the Normal (Technical) course.
For 1,007 pupils (2.4 per cent) who did not make it to secondary schools here, those who took the exam for the first time may try again next year or apply to Assumption Pathway School or Northlight School. Those who have taken the exam more than once will be offered a place in either school, MOE said in a statement today.
Last year, 97.5 per cent of pupils made it to secondary school. However, less pupils made it to the Express course this year; 66.7 per cent of last year's cohort made it to the Express course.
Pupils eligible to proceed to secondary schools were given option forms to make their secondary school choices today. They have until 3pm on Thursday, Nov 27, to submit their choices, either to their school or online.
Secondary school posting results will be released on Dec 19, and pupils are to report to the secondary school they are posted to at 8.30am on Dec 22.
The Government stopped announcing the identity of top PSLE scorers in 2012, and decided not to announce the highest and lowest PSLE scores last year.
The moves were to de-emphasise competition in schools, reduce the stress over results and to encourage schools and parents to celebrate the achievements of their pupils and children, the Government has said. However, that have not stopped some parents from discussing and speculating on the identities of top scorers and the top scores in online forums in the past two years.