23 passengers and 2 staff injured after SMRT train hits stationary train at Joo Koon MRT Station

An SMRT train hit a stationary train at Joo Koon MRT Station during the morning peak hours on Wednesday (Nov 15).

Stomp contributor Ganeshan, who usually alights at Joo Koon station to transit to a train travelling to Tuas Link, told Stomp in a phone interview that he had witnessed the incident.

He said: "I alighted at Joo Koon station at around 7.45am. Not all the trains go to Tuas Link, so usually I will have to switch between trains.

"After I alighted, another train crashed into the back of the train which I was on.

"There was a loud bang, and some commuters even screamed. I was shocked.

"I saw the second train coming in from a distance, but I thought it was going to slow down."

Ganeshan went closer to take a look and quickly took some photos which he sent to Stomp, before going off to work at 9.05am.

Facebook user Az Dwie also posted a video on the incident.

In his accompanying caption, Dwie wrote:

"Train accident at Joo Koon.. all passenger walking to front cabin."

According to a Facebook post by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) at 10.45am, 23 passengers were injured during the incident and were conveyed to hospitals.

A tweet from rail operator SMRT at around 10am read:

"[EWL] UPDATE: Please add 15 mins train travel time between #JurongEast and #TuasLink. Free regular bus services are still available between #JurongEast and #TuasLink."

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said in an update on Wednesday afternoon:

"This morning at 8.18am, a train heading in the direction of Tuas Link Station stalled at Joo Koon Station.

"At 8.19am, a second train stopped behind the first faulty train. At 8.20am, the second train moved forward unexpectedly and came into contact with the first train.

There were 28 injuries in total, including three walk-ins at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital later in the afternoon. The Ministry of Transport, Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SMRT are in touch with these injured passengers to offer the necessary assistance.

Out of the 15 sent to the National University Hospital, one declined treatment and returned home, and 13 received treatment and have been discharged. One passenger is currently warded for observation.

A total of 13 injured (including three walk-ins) were treated at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital. Nine have been treated and discharged, two are being treated, and two others are warded for observation.

SMRT and LTA are investigating the incident."