Dan Tan Seet Eng, accused by Interpol of being a global match-fixing syndicate kingpin, yesterday failed in his challenge against his detention without trial.
The 50-year-old businessman has been in prison since October last year after being detained under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, which allows for detention without trial.
The orders are up to a year and reviewed annually.
Last month, the detention order was extended for another year.
Tan filed a court order seeking a judicial review of his detention in August.
However, his application was yesterday rejected by the High Court in a closed-door hearing, said his lawyer Hamidul Haq.
The defence attorney told The Straits Times that no grounds were given for the rejection during the 21/2-hour session.
He added that he last saw his client in Changi Prison a week ago, and said they would meet again within the coming days to discuss the next move.
He said: "We are studying the situation following the result of the decision."
Labelled by Interpol as the "leader of the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate", Tan, who is wanted in Italy and Hungary, is suspected of fixing more than 150 matches globally.
He was one of 14 people arrested during an islandwide raid in September last year.
Last month, three others also had their detention orders extended by another year.
This article was first published on Nov 20, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.