American stuntman who dies after Boat Quay brawl 'was taken too soon'

Mr John Denley Nelson (above) worked as a stuntman at Universal Studios Singapore.
PHOTO: Lianhe Wanbao

He was hurt when a brawl erupted in a Boat Quay bar on Christmas Eve.

The incident left him severely injured - he was in a coma and warded in the intensive care unit (ICU).

His parents flew in from the US, hoping that he would pull through.

His condition even prompted a friend to set up an online fundraising campaign to help with his medical bills.

But Mr John Denley Nelson, 30, an American national who worked as a stuntman at Universal Studios Singapore, died on New Year's Day.

A man in his 20s has since been arrested and charged with rioting.

According to a GoFundMe site set up by a Ms Melissa Broughton, Mr Nelson was at a bar in the Boat Quay area with a friend in the early hours of Dec 24.

They were about to leave when a fight broke out involving another of Mr Nelson's friends.

He ended up with a traumatic head injury.

When they got the news, his parents got on the first flight they could and rushed to their son's side, Ms Broughton said.

She set up the GoFundMe page on Dec 30 - two days before Mr Nelson died.

On Saturday, she posted an update on the page, saying: "He was taken from us way too soon, but we know he is in a much better place in heaven with his grandparents, smiling down on us, forever in all of our hearts.

"He was kind, gentle, fun, caring and one of the most amazing guys that we all have had the pleasure of walking this earth with."

Yesterday, Mr Nelson's father was at the mortuary to claim his son's body.

The Singapore Ice Hockey Association expressed its condolences to Mr Nelson's family and friends in a statement on its Facebook page.

"He was one of our own; played in Division 2 in Team SIHA this Scotiabank Winter League 2105/16," it said.

"We will miss you. Rest in peace."

This article was first published on Jan 4, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.