SINGAPORE - Following the recent spate of lift incidents, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) will be conducting independent audit checks of passenger lifts around Singapore.
In a Facebook post on Friday (Mar 11), National Development Minister Lawrence Wong said that he had asked BCA to carry out the checks alongside investigations conducted by experts appointed by individual lift owners.
There have been a number of lift incidents in HDB blocks in the past few months. Just last Monday (Mar 7), a lift at an Ang Mo Kio HDB block suddenly shot up 17 storeys, before trapping an Indonesian maid inside for over an hour and a half.
A more serious incident occurred in October last year in Jurong, when an elderly woman's left hand was severed after it got trapped between the doors of the lift she was in.
In a statement, BCA confirmed that it is stepping up its audit checks. It also said that if a lift is found to need further investigation, maintenence or rectification works, it would temporarily suspend the lift's operation in the interest of public safety.
"We will work closely with the lift owners and contractors to minimise the inconvenience as much as possible," the authority added.
Mr Wong acknowledged that such checks would result in some disruptions to lift operations and inconvenience, and sought residents' patience and understanding on the matter.
"We want to be thorough in our checks and cannot compromise on safety," he stressed.
Separately, BCA said that it is working closely with the industry on its ongoing review of lift regulations and standards to ensure that they continue to be relevant and on par with international standards.
The review, which will include legislative changes, is expected to be completed by the end of the year.