Body in trolley bag: Impossible to fix cause of death

Did management trainee Wong Teck Siong, whose body was found in a trolley bag in waters off Sentosa two years ago, die of a drug overdose as his lover claimed?

This question will remain unanswered after State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid announced yesterday that the body of the 28-year-old was too decomposed for forensic experts to arrive at a conclusion.

But he also said that the stab wounds found on the body were likely to have been caused after death.

The inquiry had heard from Mr Wong's homosexual lover Teo Boon Leng how he poured bleach over the bag containing the body when it started to smell. When blood and fluid leaked out, he used a knife to puncture the plastic he had wrapped the body in to drain the liquid away.

The coroner's findings close the final chapter in a case with many twists and turns.

First Mr Teo, 46, was charged with murder.

He was then cleared last September, but later sentenced to three years in jail in April this year for possession of drug utensils, letting his apartment be used for drug consumption and for trying to cover up the death.

At the coroner's inquiry on Wednesday, it was revealed that Mr Wong was last seen alive on April 2, 2011 - two weeks before his decomposed body was discovered in the sea by construction workers on Sentosa. The last person with him was his boss and lover, Mr Teo, then the executive director of SCA Creative Group, an interior design consultancy.

Mr Teo maintained that when he returned to his apartment at 1pm on April 2 after a night of drug-fuelled lovemaking, he found Mr Wong motionless and "very cold".

But he decided not to notify police, as both men had been taking illegal drugs. Using the dead man's cellphone, he messaged Mr Wong's family, claiming he had gone overseas.

He wrapped the body in shrink wrap and black trash bags, and hid it in the study of his apartment at The Caribbean in Keppel Bay Drive.

On April 4, he stuffed the body in the largest trolley bag he could buy at nearby VivoCity shopping mall.

Over the next 10 days, he moved the bag three times to different SCA offices. Then, he put the body into another trolley bag.

On April 15, he took it back to his apartment. He put about 10kg of weights into the bag before dumping it into the sea from Keppel Bay Drive.

The bag, with the body in it, was discovered the next day.

Mr Teo, whose sentence was backdated to April 16, 2011 when he was arrested, was released from jail in the middle of April this year.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.