Car window smashed after ICU visit in JB

Muhamad Nasron, a safety officer for a construction firm in Singapore, was riding his Singapore-registered motorcycle on the way to his mother’s home in Johor Baru (JB) when he collided with another motorcycle on the morning of 27 May 2014.

Talk about adding insult to injury.

On May 27, he received news that his 46-year-old brother had met with an accident on the way to their mother's home in Johor Baru (JB).

Later that day, Mr Muhamad Nauruz Anang Abdulbar, 40, got a shock after rushing from Singapore to visit his brother at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital in JB.

The left passenger window of his Honda Stream multi-purpose vehicle, which was parked in the hospital grounds, had been shattered.

The human resources executive said he had no idea how and why this had happened as there were no witnesses.

He told The New Paper: "My wife and I left the ICU (intensive care unit) with the intention of performing our evening prayers but when we got to our car, we saw a group of policemen there.

"They were waiting for us and told us what had happened. My first thought was one of utter disbelief. Why did this happen when my brother was in the hospital?

"We had never experienced anything like this before. We didn't know who did it, but we took the advice of the police officers and made a report that night."

For Mr Nauruz, the smashed window was the cumulation of a very bad day.

The couple had rushed to the hospital that morning after he received a call from his mother.

She said his brother, Mr Muhamad Nasron, had been in a traffic accident.

The couple arrived at around noon and stayed until they discovered his car had been vandalised at about 6.30pm.

"I'm sure the intention was to steal from our car, but luckily we didn't find anything missing. Even our GPS system was intact," Mr Nauruz said.

The father of five children, aged between two and nine, told TNP that it cost him more than $800 to replace the window in Singapore.


While he was shaken by the experience, Mr Nauruz said he and his family want to focus on more important things - such as his elder brother fighting for his life in hospital.

Mr Nasron, a safety officer for a construction firm in Singapore, was riding his Singapore-registered motorcycle when the accident occurred.

He was on his way to their parents' home in Bandar Baru Uda, about 11km from the Woodlands Checkpoint.

Mr Nauruz said his brother and family, who live in a Yishun three-room flat, were staying with their parents to help with renovation works.

He is unsure how the accident happened.

"All I know is that my brother's motorcycle collided with another motorcycle coming from the opposite direction."

Mr Nasron, who has two daughters aged 14 and four, is in critical condition with severe head injuries.

He also broke his right arm, seven ribs, and punctured his lung.

"My brother had to go for an immediate operation to remove blood clots in his head, and his face is badly swollen," Mr Nauruz said.

The other motorcyclist, who is in his 60s, is also in the ICU unit at Sultanah Aminah Hospital with lower body injuries.

Mr Nauruz said his brother is the family's sole bread winner. He is married to a 40-year-old Malaysian who is now a Singapore PR.

They have been keeping vigil by Mr Nasron's bedside since the accident.

Meanwhile, the family are looking into the option of transferring Mr Nasron to a hospital in Singapore for further treatment, said Mr Nauruz.

"They have to be emotionally strong and hope for the best. As a family, we are giving them all the support that we can," he added.

This article was first published on June 6, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.