Caught: S'pore gang leader targeting S'poreans in Johor

Caught: S'pore gang leader targeting S'poreans in Johor

A singaporean and his gang who targeted people from Singapore were arrested by Johor police, reported The Star.

They were arrested within 24 hours of preying on two Singaporeans last Wednesday.

One of the victims was robbed by two men who broke into his Taman Setia Tropika house and held him at knifepoint.

The robbers fled with his BMW car, insurance documents, an ATM card, driver's licence, mobile phone, two passports and about $200.

The other Singaporean was carjacked by two men wielding parangs in Taman Pelangi at 6.45am.

They took his car, laptop, passport, ATM card, identification documents and about $1,200.

Following the two incidents, the police conducted raids in Bandar Dato' Onn, Larkin and Taman Setia Tropika, reported Malaysia's New Straits Times. Four men, aged between 23 and 53 years old, were arrested.


They also seized three cars that were reported missing, mobile phones and passports.

A Singaporean couple who were also victims of a robbery in Johor Baru in March told The New Paper of their experience.

They said four men wearing surgical masks and caps, and armed with parangs and baseball bats, attacked them in Johor Baru. The victims, who wanted to be known as Mr Shah and Madam Emma, were held at knifepoint while the robbers took 10 credit and debit cards, identity cards, passports and about $100 in cash.

One of them pressed a rusty parang against Mr Shah's neck and warned him not to move.

"I was afraid for my wife's safety," the operations executive said.

"All I could think of was 'live or die'."

Another robber pointed a metal baseball bat at Madam Emma and snatched her handbag.

"It happened so fast, I was stunned," she said.

The couple, who are in their 30s, were travelling to Gelang Patah with their friend, Mr Effande Mohamad Yashin, 30, who owned the car.

Mr Effande was buying drinks when the robbery took place.

They made a report to the Johor police after the robbers fled with the loot.

"I still feel traumatised by it," said Mr Shah.

"Of course you would be if someone held a parang at your neck."

Last month, Johor police called the couple to their headquarters to identify two suspects related to their case, but they declined as they feared crossing the border then.

They eventually went back three weeks ago to buy goods for Hari Raya.

Even then, they stayed for only 30 minutes before returning to Singapore.

"We didn't stay long because I still don't feel safe when I'm there. The memories are still too fresh," said Madam Emma.

The couple are glad to hear that the Johor police arrested the four suspects.

"It is a step in the right direction for Singaporeans to feel more secure," said Mr Shah.

Get The New Paper for more stories.

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.