Children in 'inappropriate touching' incident at preschool being counselled: PCF

SINGAPORE - The two children at the centre of an alleged inappropriate touching incident at a PAP Community Foundation (PCF) preschool are being counselled by a psychologist.

The incident occurred last Tuesday (April 12), when a six-year-old girl reported that she had been touched inappropriately by a boy, also six, at a Sparkletots Preschool in Taman Jurong.

In a statement on Monday (April 18), PCF explained that it was informed of the incident the following day, and was investigating the matter.

"We have assigned a child psychologist and teacher to engage the girl and look after her well-being. The psychologist is also counselling the boy," the childcare operator said.

It added that it would take necessary follow-up action based on the findings and recommendations of the child psychologist.

PCF also revealed that the boy's parent had agreed not to send him to the centre for the time being, and that a teacher will continue to stay in touch with the boy and his parent.

"We deeply regret the incident and fully sympathise with the parents in their distress. Our top priority is the well-being of our young children," it stressed.

In a Facebook post on Sunday (April 17), the Ministry of Social and Family Development also said that it was aware of a video which had been posted on YouTube, which purportedly showed a confrontation between the girl's parents and staff at the preschool.

"We are aware of the video, and are working with our colleagues at the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) to look into it," MSF said.

The Straits Times reported that in a Facebook post, the girl's parent said that the boy had put his hand up the girl's skirt when she was asleep during the school's afternoon nap time. The boy also admitted to doing so after being questioned.

The parent also expressed dissatisfaction with how the school dealt with the incident, saying that the principal's solution was to "bring the boy away from my daughter" and that there had not been an apology from the school or the boy's parents.

The post also said that the girl was frightened and traumatised that such an incident might happen again.