Cineleisure slashing: Jail, caning for beating up 2 men

One of the two victims, salesman Muhammad Safuan Mohamed Nasil, 23.

SINGAPORE - A cleaner whose brutal assault on two men outside Cathay Cineleisure Orchard left one of the victims hospitalised for more than a month was sentenced to jail and caning on Friday.

District Judge Mathew Joseph said the assault by Lukman Nurhakim M. Thamrin was "made heinous by the thuggish conduct of the accused and the grave seriousness of the injuries suffered especially by the first victim".

Lukman, 23, who had earlier pleaded guilty to two charges of causing grievous hurt and causing hurt, was sentenced to three years and nine months in jail and ordered to be given six strokes of the cane.

One of the two victims, salesman Muhammad Safuan Mohamed Nasil, 23, did not even know Lukman at the time of the assault. He was warded in hospital for 42 days as a result of his severe injuries.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Sruthi Boppana said Lukman was outside the Grange Road mall on Dec 27 last year when he spotted Mr Muhammad Hanafi Sanif, 22, and confronted him. Lukman accused Mr Hanafi of bad-mouthing a friend, but Mr Hanafi denied this. Without provocation, Lukman punched Mr Hanafi in the face and the victim fell immediately.

On seeing this, Mr Safuan, a friend of Mr Hanafi, rushed forward. He was also attacked by Lukman and fell to the ground unconscious. When Mr Hanafi tried to get up, Lukman punched him again, causing him to lose consciousness as well.

Lukman then went back to Mr Safuan, grabbed him by the shoulders and slammed him onto the ground forcefully. He then fled from the scene.

As a result of the attack, Mr Safuan now has a permanent scar at the back of his head. According to a statement, Mr Safuan, who had to undergo physiotherapy, said he now fears going out. He also has difficulty remembering things and his mind often goes blank. Mr Hanafi's injuries were less serious and he was given a day's medical leave.

The judge said Lukman had a propensity for violence and had re-offended barely two years after his release from the Reformative Training Centre for rioting and causing hurt with a dangerous weapon.

"This court has a duty to protect the right of members of the public to walk our streets in safety and without fear of unprovoked assault," he added.

A third charge of burglary, which was considered during his sentencing, was committed when Lukman was out on bail for his assault offences.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.