Cop: Senior officer told us to take Casanova to courthouse

GEORGE TOWN - A policeman in charge of transporting an alleged Casanova to Penang Prison told a magistrate's court that his team was instructed by a senior female police officer to take the man to the courthouse here instead.

Cameron Highlands court and exhibits police officer Sjn Mohd Sahar Badron testified that his colleague Kpl Rosidi Nordin received a telephone call from Asst Supt L. Chandkumary instructing K.K. Prabaharan, 46, who was placed at the Cameron Highlands district police headquarters, to be brought to her.

"She told him that the accused had a court case for mention in the afternoon," he said.

Sjn Mohd Sahar said he, Kpl Rosidi and driver Kons Mohd Nasier Othman transported Prabaharan to Penang Prison as there was no written order to take him to the courthouse.

He was testifying against Chandkumary, 57, who is charged with intentionally releasing computer technician Prabaharan, who was in her custody at the George Town court complex at 1.50pm on Oct 9 last year.

The offence under Section 225A(1)(a) of the Penal Code carries a jail term of up to three years or a fine, or both.

Chandkumary is also on trial for lodging a false police report at 8.05pm the same day at the Patani Road police station, claiming that Prabaharan had disappeared when she was writing down remarks on the case at her office while waiting for the case to be mentioned in court.

The offence under Section 182 of the Penal Code carries a jail term of up to six months or a fine of up to RM2,000 (S$770), or both.

"I transported Prabaharan to the court as I was acting on the order of a senior officer as she was a prosecuting officer," Sjn Mohd Sahar said when asked by DPP Siti Fatimah Talib.

Chandkumary, he said, was alone in her office and had instructed Kpl Rosidi to take off Prabaharan's handcuffs for the latter to sign some documents.

He said Chandkumary's office was empty when his team returned from lunch.

He said he and Kpl Rosidi called Chandkumary three times from 2.30pm to 4pm but she gave the same reply each time - that she would be back in her office "in a while".

Sjn Mohd Sahar said his team then went to the Northeast district police headquarters in Patani Road and saw Chandkumary walking around the foyer, looking troubled.

"She said Prabaharan had escaped and told me not to worry and that she would be responsible for it," he said.

The hearing continues today.