Cyber attack culprit will be dealt with severely: PM

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday warned hackers who may be targeting Singapore's cyber infrastructure.

Speaking to the media at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal after observing Exercise Highcrest on Wednesday, he said the Singapore Government is taking a serious view of the threats made.

"Cyber attacks are a danger to us, and a very real one," he said.

Last week, a video that claimed to be issued by hacker group Anonymous threatened to bring down Singapore's cyber infrastructure as a response to the Government's Internet licensing framework.

Several websites have been hacked over the past week, including The Straits Times website, which was hacked into and defaced by someone who called himself "The Messiah" and claimed to be part of the Anonymous collective.

He allegedly also hacked into the websites of Ang Mo Kio Town Council and PAP Community Foundation last month.

Mr Lee said the Government will be relentless in its efforts to hunt down anyone who attempts to hack.

"We will spare no effort to track down the culprit," he added. "If we can find him, we will bring him to justice and he will be dealt with severely.

"You may think you're anonymous, but we will make that extra effort to find out who you are."

He said that Singapore's IT network, the Internet and communications have become "an essential part of our businesses and our lives".

Said Mr Lee: "If your network is down, you can't connect, you can't work and you can't keep in touch with what's happening in the world.

"Therefore when somebody threatens to do harm to it and bring it down... we take that very seriously."

He admitted that no system can be 100 per cent watertight as "IT systems are complicated" and there could always be some weakness that could be exploited.

"When it comes to IT security, there is no end to the work," he said

Get The New Paper for more stories.