The cyclist who knocked over a three-year-old boy on Sunday morning has yet to come forward, even as a Facebook post by the mother has gone viral.
Kyle was out on a jog with his dad, air force engineer Lin Jianxiong, on Sunday morning when the incident happened along the Serangoon Park Connector.
Mr Lin, 32, was heading towards a fitness corner near Sengkang East Drive with his only child at about 11.15am when he said a cyclist came speeding towards them.
"He was going very fast, approximately 40kmh. I was quite shocked," Mr Lin told My Paper yesterday.
"I shouted to my son but it was too late."
The force of the impact knocked out one of Kyle's teeth and left him with bruises, a swollen lip and a 1cm cut on his chin, said Mr Lin.
"The impact was so great that my son fell and rolled on the floor," he added.
"Blood was gushing out from his lip and chin."
He said they were on a shared path and had been keeping left. The cyclist had also kept left but Kyle, who was about two arm-lengths ahead of his dad, turned right to go to the fitness corner.
Passers-by gathered to help, offering water and tissue paper. The cyclist also came forward, after "observing from a distance".
Mr Lin, who did not have his phone or wallet with him, told the cyclist that he would take his son to a hospital but had only $20.
The cyclist, who said he lives in Pasir Ris, offered him $10 and, later, an additional $20.
He cycled off without leaving his particulars.
Kyle was taken to KK Women's and Children's Hospital. His medical costs so far add up to more than $100, said Mr Lin. They will take him to the dentist only today, as his mouth is still bleeding.
"His lip's swelling has gone down but he still has trouble drinking his milk," said Mr Lin, sounding shaken over the phone.
He had asked the cyclist why he did not stop.
The latter said his bike had no brakes and his feet were clipped to the pedals.
Kyle's mother, Kaslyn Tan, posted about the incident - which was reported by Chinese newspapers Lianhe Wanbao and Shin Min Daily News yesterday - on Facebook on Sunday afternoon.
The 25-year-old housewife, who has reported the matter to the police, asked the cyclist to "own up" so they can have "peaceful closure".
The post has since gone viral, with more than 10,000 shares.
One commenter, Peter Tan, who said he was a cyclist himself, wrote that the cyclist was "irresponsible". He added that cyclists should "have spatial awareness and slow down if there are young children, pets or any pedestrians".
Ms Tan told Wanbao in a report yesterday that the National Parks Board (NParks) had contacted her about the incident. It said there are "no closed-circuit television cameras in that area" and that it would work with the police on this incident and "look into how to reduce cycling speeds".
Mr Lin is doubtful that the cyclist will come forward but hopes that other cyclists will learn from this incident and avoid similar accidents.
"It's a painful lesson learnt for me," he added.
Police confirm that a report has been lodged and investigations are ongoing.
Get MyPaper for more stories.